News

Racial tensions explode

Superintendent Noel Powers addresses the media outside Logan Central Police Station.
Superintendent Noel Powers addresses the media outside Logan Central Police Station. Inga Williams

THE family who live in a house targeted during racial violence at the weekend has vowed to fight back if attacked again.

Colin Barlow, whose sister lives in the Woodridge home, said racial tensions had been going on for years in the local area.

Police were called to the Douglas St address twice on Sunday after reports of violent clashes.

They first arrived at the house just after midnight on Sunday where they found property that had been damaged during a brawl between Pacific Islanders and Aboriginal residents.

Police found the property with smashed windows and holes to the exterior wall.

They were again called to the property late Sunday and allegedly found a group of more than 30 people fighting in the street.

But Mr Barlow said these scenes were nothing new.

"This has been going on for the past five years and I think it is only going to get worse," he said.

"I don't think this is an issue which is ever going to be resolved.

"If my family is ever going to be attacked, we will retaliate."

Speaking at a press conference on Monday, Superintendent Noel Powers said there would be more officers out on patrol in the coming week.

"Because of the incidents in that particular street in Woodridge, we have increased our police patrols," Supt Powers said.

"I would be a fool to say there wasn't tension between some races in the Logan community.

"We have got over 250 cultures all living within this one area.

 

"We want to resolve this, get it settled down and try and bring it to a successful conclusion."

Federal Member for Rankin Craig Emerson appealed for calm.

"Australia is a multicultural society founded on mutual respect and tolerance," Mr Emerson said.

"In Logan, we have, for the most part, managed to live in harmony despite a wide diversity of ethnic, cultural and religious backgrounds."

 

State Member for Woodridge Desley Scott visited the residents of the Douglas St property on Monday.

She said she had already been in talks with local elders after the weekend's incidents.

Two men have since been charged. A 17-year-old and a 21-year-old, both from Slacks Creek were charged with public nuisance and obstructing police.

The 17-year-old is expected to appear in the Beenleigh Magistrates Court on January 28. The other man is expected to appear on February 28.


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

'Our lake is not a dumping ground'

Rubbish found in Springfield.

Residents dump household waste and furniture in city's waterways

How a teen who stole $45,000 ended up with $11

Money.

Thief jailed for taking thousands from Ipswich employer

VIDEO: Instructor has a harsh lesson for honking drivers

HARD LESSON: Pro Driver owner David Cullen is encouraging drivers to be patient.

Why honking at learner drivers isn't helping anybody

Local Partners

Sir Elton John coming to Mackay: What you need to know

MACKAY will play host to one of the world's biggest superstars Sir Elton John later this year.

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: Global superstar to rock Mackay in 2017

A major concert is set to rock Mackay this year.

Mackay, Cairns to host world's biggest superstars Sir Elton John

Robert Irwin introduces Jimmy Fallon to wild guests

Robert Irwin introduces Tonight Show host Jimmy Fallon to a cuddly sloth.

ROBERT Irwin continues Steve's legacy.

MOVIE REVIEW: Trespass Against Us a 'tender' crime film

Michael Fassbender and Brendan Gleeson in a scene from the movie Trespass Against Us.

Tough British film about criminal clan proves touching

Crocodile, hippo fears as I'm A Celeb filming hit by flooding

Flooding hits the set of I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here!

Fears crocodiles and hippos could infiltrate I'm A Celeb camp

Small screen users make switch to smaller screens

In this photo taken Oct. 16, 2013, a girl plays Supercelll's Hay Day game on an iPad. The Finnish 'Clash of Clans' mobile game maker Supercell said Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014, it plans to launch its third game next month on a tide of soaring revenues and profits. The new game, 'Boom Beach,' will be launched in March. It's been tested in Canada and Australia, ranking fifth in both countries' iPhone app store lists, according to the company. (AP Photo/Lehtikuva, Milla Takala)  FINLAND OUT

The digital age generation makes the switch

Nadia visits Coast to escape Married At First Sight drama

Married At First Sight's Nadia Stamp takes a breather from the show's drama at Mooloolaba.

MAFS bride unwinds on the Coast ahead of commitment ceremony

Popular island resort sells to loaded international investor

OUR PICK: Chris Foey's colourful shot of one of Gladstone's great tourism hot spots, Heron Island.

International investor snaps up piece of Gladstone paradise.

Expert: Why renters, home buyers may struggle

Matusik Property Insights director Michael Matusik.

What's next for the city's housing market

Massive seaside development of 3200 lots

DESIRABLE LIFESTYLE: The masterplan for the proposed Elliott Heads Estate.

"There's nothing else left along the coastline of Queensland now"

Potential home buyers punished for doing the 'right thing'

Should I go to university or buy a house?

50 more high rise buildings planned for Brisbane CBD

Height limits have been scrapped for Brisbane CBD

800,000 more people expected to work in city over next 20 years

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!