Sport

Penrith Panthers player Jake Galvin sacked

THE Penrith Panthers have sacked Toyota Cup player Jake Galvin after he appeared in court on charges of assaulting a 77-year-old pizza delivery driver.

Galvin appeared in the Southport District Court on Monday charged with robbery with actual violence.

The 18-year-old second rower, who stands 179cm and weighs 90kg, pleaded guilty and received a 12 month sentence, wholly suspended for two years.

The assault occurred on July 6 last year, the night of the third State of Origin match.

The court heard Galvin, and former Wests Tigers junior Isaac Hekenui assaulted Arthur Taylor and stole pizzas worth $51.80 which they ate at a friend's house on the Gold Coast while watching the match.

Taylor had to be taken to hospital and suffered a heart attack on the way - he has been unable to work since and told the court he was now too afraid to go out at night.

Hekenui also pleaded guilty to the assault, and to two other assaults in July last year.

He admitted bashing a taxi driver in an Ashmore toilet block on July 2, and also beating a 16-year-old girl at Varsity Lakes on July 29.

The 19-year-old was given three, five-year sentences, to be served concurrently.

He has already served 463 days in custody and will be eligible for parole on April 1, 2013.

Galvin joined Penrith on a two-year contract at the start of the season.

The club yesterday issued a statement saying in the wake of the court appearance, it had torn up his contract.

"On the basis of new information now available to the club, a decision has been made to terminate Jake's contract," the statement said.

"Jake's behaviour and work ethic since arriving at the Panthers had been nothing short of exemplary. The Panthers wish Jake all the best with his future endeavours."

Topics:  nrl, penrith panthers, robbery


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

The 10 habits that drive you insane on the road

Ipswich Motorway traffic at Goodna. Photo: David Nielsen / The Queensland Times

RACQ names top ten worst driving habits

Latest deals and offers

UPDATE: Driver assessed for spinal injuries

UPDATE 10AM: QUEENSLAND Ambulance Service says a woman is being checked for spinal injuries following a crash this morning.

The 10 habits that drive you insane on the road

Ipswich Motorway traffic at Goodna. Photo: David Nielsen / The Queensland Times

RACQ names top ten worst driving habits

'I just wanted it to end': Pingel on Raceway crash

Brendon Pingel's terrifying rollover in the Aussie Racing Cars at Queensland Raceway.

VIDEO: 'I just wanted it to end': Brendon Pingel speaks of crash

Businesses demand rate freeze from Paul Pisasale

SLUGGED: Bruce Alvey from Alvey Reels is unhappy about the 15% rise in land rates.

80% increase worries local business

Dr Karl, Barnaby Joyce and 'how to unf*** the planet'

Dr Karl will be at Splendour in the Grass 2016.

Controversy and laughs at Splendour in the Grass panels and forums

Swimwear designer looking for love on The Bachelor

Noni Janur on her first day of filming.

The 25-year-old is one of 22 women vying for Richie Strahan’s heart

Elena wins MasterChef: “I’m ecstatic and eager to celebrate"

MasterChef Australia 2016 winner Elena Duggan, from Noosa.

NOOSA chefs survive marathon grand final dish by Heston Blumenthal.

Shannen Doherty shaves hair during cancer battle

Shannen Doherty has completely shaved off her hair

Brian McFadden makes daughters pay for own Christmas gifts

McFadden makes his daughters pay for half their presents

Lady Gaga is a godmother

Lady Gaga has become a godmother to her friends' daughter

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles