WITH so much good food around, Easter can prove a challenging time for people to control their eating.
Cookbook queen and food expert Annette Sym is doing her best to buck the weight gain trend by creating an Easter calorie counter.
The counter is displayed in a table that measures the fat and sugar content of popular Easter treats and shows how long it will take to burn those calories.
Mrs Sym said people would be horrified if they knew how long it would take to burn off just a few Easter treats.
"To burn off 800 calories of Easter treats you will need to spend a full-hour running, kick boxing or doing high-impact aerobics."
"People really need to ask themselves, 'is gorging on all that chocolate really worth it?'
"My philosophy is if you do the crime, you have to do the time."
Mrs Sym said some people see Easter as an opportunity to treat themselves. This can lead to feelings of guilt.
"A lot of people binge on chocolate, feel guilty and then decide to give up on losing weight for good," she said.
"Stop looking at Easter as an opportunity to give yourself a treat, and start treating yourself with respect instead.
"People need to stay focused on their weight loss goals."
Adults aren't the only ones affected by extra food intake and Mrs Sym urges parents to limit the amount of treats they give their children.
"People also need to think about the amount of chocolate they give their kids over Easter and the message it sends them," she said.
"Parents need to scale it right back and give their kids just one chocolate treat.
"If you're worried that's not enough, add a toy such as a cuddly bunny to their Easter basket."
- Cadbury 200g rabbit - 2½ hours to walk off.
- One packet of mini Malteser eggs - 1½ hours to walk off.
- 150g Heritage bilby - 1¾ hours.
- One Humpty Dumpty carton of small eggs - 1¾ hours to burn.
* attributed to Annette Sym's Easter Calorie Counter
* Currently tenanted as coffee shop with in-house dining - 46m2 * Rear kitchen, rear access, parking and toilet facilities * Main street frontage with...
* Professional offices on 2 levels -Upstairs 293m2* and Downstairs - 66m2* * Main street frontage with high volume traffic in the heart of the Ipswich CBD with...
If you would like to get into the market and you're on a budget, then you have to make the time to inspect this property! - Perfect for first home buyers just...
10a Syntax Street HOP, SKIP, JUMP to the best of Ipswich ! Two generations or one big family? Designed to embrace you all. Please discover our floor plans. Yes...
Perfectly positioned & tucked away at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac, this hidden gem will make an excellent investment! This solid brick home has many features in...
* Land area: 607m2* (tenanted area: 183 m2*) * Current holding income of $51,600*p.a. plus a portion of outgoings * Zoning: Character mixed use * Corner location...
- Open plan kitchen, dining and lounge area with polished floor hardwood floors - 4 Bedrooms - Neat and tide bathroom - DLUG and extra storage area underneath ...
With the market moving and homes selling quickly this quality low set brick home in Raceview is one for the buyers whether you are first home buyers, investors or...
This stylish 4 year old ex display home is too good to resist. Sitting on a 937sqm block with plenty of room for a shed, pool or granny flat. Easy access into...
Value plus with this lovely family friendly home, beautifully presented and ready for the next family to enjoy. You will definitely appreciate all the hard work...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.